A warning to every eater out there looking to take the capsaicin challenge to new levels: your chili addiction could be fatal. So says a story out of Britain involving homemade hot sauces and a heart attack. The Daily Mail has the details:
Andrew Lee, 33, had used a bag of home-grown red chillies to make a super-hot sauce.
The forklift truck driver, who had recently passed a medical at work, dared his girlfriend’s brother to eat a spoonful – then ate a plateful himself. Shortly after he had a heart attack and died.
Mrs Chadbourne added: ‘He apparently got into bed at 2.30am and started scratching all over.’
‘His girlfriend scratched his back until he fell asleep. She woke up and he was dead.’